Does trade effluent control apply to my business?
Trade effluent control applies to all businesses that discharge wastewater to a public sewer, from independent traders to large multinational companies. In the UK even small discharges of a few litres a day require legal consent from the water and sewerage company.
Trade effluent is typically wastewater or other waste liquids not considered to be domestic sewage or uncontaminated rainwater run-off. Consent conditions include volume, flow rate, pH, temperature, suspended solids, chemical oxygen demand, fat-oil-and-grease (FOG) and metals.
Facilities involved in the production of food and drink, chemicals, metals, textiles, paper and sites recycling solid waste are all likely to require a water company consent to discharge.
Why do I need to test my facility’s effluent?
UK water companies calculate trade effluent charges based on a number of variables, including volume, type and the degree of contamination, this is known as the Mogden formula. By knowing the parameters of your effluent, you can make better decisions on how to optimise your liquid waste processes and minimise costs.
Which parameters can WPL test?
WPL’s trade effluent service offers robust testing on a wide range of chemical, metal, biological, microbiological and physical contaminants including heavy metals, pesticides and organics.
The service includes:
- In the field testing, advanced lab work and analysis
- Test reports that comply with regulatory requirements
- Advice on trade effluent discharge consent analysis
- Dedicated support from wastewater treatment specialists
WPL also provides full scale trial units to identify the precise equipment required for your operation, offering immediate enhancement to onsite effluent treatment, meaning compliance is achieved and businesses have breathing space to plan out a permanent fix.
Which locations do we cover?
WPL can conduct tests for any site in the UK.
Typical industrial wastewater applications include:
- Abattoirs, meat and poultry wastewater treatment
- Brewery, winery and soft drink manufacture wastewater treatment
- Baking and confectionery, ready meals and vegetable production and packaging manufactures wastewater treatment
- Commercial laundry wastewater treatment
- Cosmetics manufactures production and packaging wastewater treatment
- Dairy inc milk, cream, yoghurt and cheese processing and packaging wastewater treatment
- Fish processing wastewater treatment
- Paper mills wastewater treatment
- Petrochemical wastewater treatment
- Pharmaceutical wastewater treatment
- Textile manufacture wastewater treatment
- Waste recycling centre wastewater treatment