Save on water, power and space
The volute dewatering screw press offers both sludge thickening and dewatering (all at once) for industrial wastewater applications. Suitable for industrial, primary and secondary treatment sludges, aerobic and anaerobic bio solids, digestate dewatering and oily sludges thanks to its self-cleaning moving ring mechanism that prevents clogging.
Application and options:
- Industrial trade effluent sites
- Hire, trial or capital purchase
Trial and hire – no capital risk
- Trial equipment to prove the technology before investment
- Extensive fleet of emergency hire equipment
- Skid mounted or containerised options
Operational trial for the Volute Dewatering Screw Press helps you build a case for capital funds.
Why you should choose the Volute Dewatering Screw Press:
Easy to operate, maintenance which lowers labour costs
- Runs automatically 24-hours on site without a machinist due to its automatic, sensor-controlled operation
- Daily maintenance is minimal and will not require any skilled labour
- No thickening or storage tanks needed, which makes it the perfect choice when you are considering the replacement of existing dewatering equipment.
- All-in-one design and easy to install
- Unique self-cleaning mechanism prevents the filter mesh from clogging, and negates high volume water waste during spray washing
- When compared with dewatering equipments of the same throughput, the amount of cleaning water required for a Volute is about 1/115th of belt press and about 1/12th of conventional screw press.
- Slow rotation of the screw (3 rpm at 50 Hz) which is the main component, means that very little power is consumed making the volute very economical to run
- No rotating body with the accompanying high speeds, so noise and vibration are minimized, which improves overall comfort in the work environment
High resistance to oily sludge
- Dewatering oily sludge means that clogging is more likely to occur, and is difficult to clean from other types of dewatering equipment. The self-cleaning mechanism of the volute deals with this process easily
Accommodates expanding volume
- An increase of sludge in the future can easily be accommodated with the volute’s cylinder unit without much increase in the initial cost.
Volute process function
The dewatering cylinder is constructed from an expanse of alternating fixed rings, moving rings and spacers enclosing a screw, which is conical, tapering towards an end Plate. The moving rings have a slightly smaller diameter than the screw, and their width is slightly smaller than the width of the spacers, which causes their continuous movement during operation. The moving rings continuously clean the sludge between the gaps and prevent clogging. The first part of the screw section is called the Thickening Zone, thereafter, the pitch of the screw narrows with the gaps between the rings and the screw pitch decreasing towards the end plate.
There are two types of main body configurations (with/without sludge conditioning tank).
EC Series Volute screw press with sludge conditioning tank
(1) Sludge conditioning tank (2) Flow control tank (3) Flocculation tank (4) Cylinder unit (5) Discharge outlet for dewatered cake
GS Series Volute screw press without sludge conditioning tank
(1) Flow control tank (2) Thickening flocculation tank (3) Cylinder unit (4) Discharge outlet for dewatered cake
- Dairy, meat products plants and abattoirs (slaughterhouses)
- Breweries and distilleries
- Fish farms and livestock manure
- Raw wastewater treatment from food factories
- Chemicals manufacturing plants
- Machinery manufacturing and Metal processing plants
- Paper mill, glass factories etc.
Atana, WPL and WCS Environmental Engineering – WCS Group Partners
WPL and Atana technical and engineering teams work directly with customers to identify optimal solutions that address environmental and public health concerns throughout the water cycle. WPL joined WCS Environmental Engineering division, which forms part of Marlowe’s grouping of water and air industry, in January 2021. This development means that across the group, the in-house skills and expertise are in place to deliver full turnkey solutions, from influent to effluent, with the capability to close the loop with water reuse.