WPL Hybrid SAF
Submerged aerated filtration for wastewater treatment
WPL’s flexible, modular Hybrid SAF package wastewater treatment plant has a proven track record in utilising submerged aerated filtration for wastewater treatment. The flexible units can operate as individual treatment plants or the modular design means they can be connected in series to form larger plants.
The WPL Hybrid SAF wastewater treatment plant requires minimal operational input and is engineered to meet asset standards of any water utility or industrial effluent application and is suitable for permanent or temporary applications.
The unique, above ground, submerged aerated filter WPL Hybrid SAF modules are manufactured, engineered and wet tested in a quality controlled environment at the WPL factory, reducing on-site installation time and health and safety risk.
All WPL Hybrid SAF wastewater treatment plants are built with a combination of GRP (glass reinforced plastic) and galvanised steel or stainless steel structural ‘exoskeleton’, the units provide in excess of the UK water industry standard requirements of 25 years life.
Features and Benefits of the WPL Hybrid SAF wastewater treatment plant:
Off-site manufacture reduces civil installation
- Manufactured, engineered and wet tested in WPL’s quality controlled factory environment, reducing on-site installation time which further reduces health and safety risk.
Overcomes restrictive access
- The Hybrid SAF modular design allows ease of access to height or width restrictive sites.
Flexible and scalable
- Flexible to accommodate unusual footprint, increase existing works and support regulatory changes.
- Scalable modular design allows larger tank configuration exceeding 5000 population equivalent.
- Option of allowing blowers to be driven by VSD’s, controlled by DO and/or ammonia monitors, delivers further reductions in energy consumption, reducing overall carbon footprint and reduce running costs.
- Can be redeployed as a mobile asset and re-sited if an existing installation becomes redundant before the end-of-life of the equipment. This reduces the risk of premature scrappage and waste.
WPL engineering design
- Modular GRP and (galvanised or stainless) steel units are built to a standard size, the WPL Hybrid SAF package wastewater treatment solution can be designed to meet unique site specific requirements for different water utility asset standards – such as consideration to pipework, blowers, discharge consent, footprint and installation method.
- The WPL Hybrid SAF units for international export are built to a standard size allowing five units to fit in to a 40ft (12m) shipment container and two units to fit in to a 20ft (6m) shipment container.
- The modular design can be combined with both upstream and downstream treatment equipment based on individual process requirements.
- WPL can offer full turn-key packaged solutions.
Reducing delivery cost
- Low unit dry weight allows delivery and off-loading with Hiab, removing the need for large lifting equipment on-site during installation.
Robust process design
- Unique hydrodynamic design ensures that flow passes over the media multiple times per hour, which significantly improves contaminant distribution and circulation over the bacteria on the media surface.
- Proven WPL SAF technology based on 25 years of empirical data offering treatment for carbonaceous removal, nitrification and de-nitrification (Total N) when strict standards are required.
BIM work flow principle
- Standardised, modular construction and configuration can meet site-specific requirements incorporating BIM workflow principle.
Reduced maintenance costs
- GRP and galvanised steel or stainless steel frame reduces maintenance costs, no need for repainting of steel structure.
- No need for high level access which significantly reduces health and safety risk.
Long life tank
- GRP is UV stabilised with an external gel coat finish which extends asset life.
- Robust and reliable asset to meet stringent environmental discharge standards.
- Fully compliant WIMES specification, British Standards and other European Norms.
- Designed to meet individual UK water utility specifications.
- The WPL Hybrid SAF is designed to BS12255 – parts 1 to 15.
- Units for international export are built to a standard size to fit five units in to a 40ft (12m) shipment container and two units in to a 20ft (6m) shipment container.
WPL offer alternative SAF units, installed above ground and manufactured in stainless steel or steel and below ground manufactured in GRP.
Installation at a United Utility site, Sandbach WwTW
Day 1 – WPL Hybrid SAF modules leaving the WPL factory to on-site installation
- 12 x WPL Hybrid SAF modules (total of 4 streams) delivered on-site to the wastewater treatment works.
- The off-site manufacturing of the SAF tanks reduces on-site installation time which further reduces health and safety risk
Technical director, Andrew Baird, returns to Sandbach WwTw site, post installation, to measure the performance through the dissolved oxygen levels of the Hybrid SAF (submerged aerated filter).
Read full case study Modular treatment plant delivers flexible upgrade for United Utilites
Meeting UK water utility site specifications
WPL recognise every site is different and each UK water utility has its own demanding requirements to meet AMP 6 targets. Using our innovative WPL Hybrid SAF wastewater treatment plant, guarantees environmental compliance and is easily adapted to changing regulations and contributing to reduction in whole life costs. The WPL Hybrid SAF plant is suitable for permanent or temporary applications, with a number of different hire and purchase options to meet customer requirement.
The WPL Hybrid SAFs flexible process suits both BOD and ammonia removal.